History of Ian Macleod Distillers Limited
- Ian Macleod & Company Limited was established on 26 October 1933.
- Leonard Russell Snr owned his own whisky broking company in 1936. He died in 1956.
- Ian Macleod & Co Ltd was acquired by the Russell family on 18 march 1963; Peter Russell was Managing Director.
- David Russell, Peter’s younger brother, joined the company in 1964 and was a Director, retiring in 2000.
- Acquired the company and label called William Maxwell
- Leonard Russell, Peter’s son, joined the company in 1989 as Business Development Manager, and appointed Marketing Director in January 1993.
- Ian Macleod/J & G Grant - joint venture set up the bottling operation, Broxburn Bottlers, in July 1984.
- Peter Russell appointed Chairman and Leonard Russell appointed Managing Director in 2000.
- Ian Macleod & Co Ltd changed its name to its current name, Ian Macleod Distillers Limited, following the acquisition of Glengoyne Distillery and the Langs brands in April 2003.
Acquisition of brands
- Isle Of Skye blended scotch whisky – 1963
- King Robert range of spirits - 1968
- London Hill Gin – 1990
- Wincarnis Tonic Wine – 1998
- Hedges & Butler scotch whiskies - 1998
- Watson's Demerara and Watson's Trawler rums – 2000
- Glengoyne Distillery and the Langs brands - 2003
As well as the above brands which were acquired, Ian Macleod Distillers has developed a number of other brands including
- Dun Bheagan
- The Six Isles
- Macleod’s Regional Malts